Written by: Dr. Mackenzie Bernhardt, ND
Eczema in the pediatric population can vastly impact your child’s quality of life from their sleep and play to their schooling and activity involvement. This condition can affect infants and follow them throughout their life in varying intensity.
Do you relate to any of these?
Are you tired of your child waking up in the night irritable and itchy?
Are you fed up with all the lotions and creams lathered all over your child’s body with no long-lasting improvement?
Are you frustrated with band-aid fixes and want to get to the root of the issue?
Do you feel like a bad parent because your child is suffering?
Are you overwhelmed with a million recommendations constantly being thrown your way?
These experiences don’t have to be yours. There should be options out there for your child (and you!) to soothe the flare ups and manage this condition.
Eczema is much more than a topical skin condition that solely involves the skin. This condition is much more complex than that and getting to the root cause of it can be incredibly helpful for treatment.
First of all, what is this condition really?
What is eczema?
- A chronic relapsing and remitting condition
- It usually begins and spans throughout a child’s life. They usually have it for life but it can become more subdued in adulthood.
- An inflammatory skin disease
- perpetual itch-scratch cycle redness, irritation, and bleeding
What should you be looking out for?
- A red, itchy rash usually located on the hands, feet, scalp, face, trunk, and/or elbows/knees.
- Your child is waking in the night irritable and distressed
- Bleeding from scratching (in more severe cases)
Now that we know a little more about the condition, let’s switch gears to the known causes of eczema:
- Immune Dysregulation
- This could stem back to the child’s birth, the birthing parent’s health, early life factors, and more.
- Poor diversity in the gut, leaky gut or insufficient integrity
- High stress, anxiety, low vitamin D levels
- Genetic Predisposition
- Family history of allergies
- genetic mutation in the FLG gene which negatively impacts the skin barrier by allowing irritants to get through the skin more readily
- Environmental Impact
- your child’s interaction with dust, foods, pollen, molds etc
- weather changes (cold, dry, wet, humid etc)
What can you do for your child to improve these symptoms based on these causes?
- Reducing refined sugars
- Increasing healthy fat
- Hydrate hydrate hydrate!
- Avoid fragrances (often act as irritants)
- Avoid foaming agents (such as sodium lauryl sulphate – harsh chemical that strips the natural oils of the skin)
- Coconut oil applied topically
- Have their Vitamin D levels checked and dosed appropriately
- Include warm, hearty foods in the fall/winter months
- Eat probiotic rich foods such as sauerkraut, coconut yogurt
- Oatmeal baths
Beyond the above suggestions, there may be herbs, supplements, topical products, nutrition, and lifestyle recommendations to improve the symptoms associated with eczema.
Our Naturopathic Doctor Mackenzie Bernhardt can assist your child in this journey to alleviate the condition.
Book with her HERE!
In our first webinar of the year, Dr. Mackenzie will go over how to understand your child’s eczema & how to ease symptoms.
PLUS….just for attending, you’ll receive a FREE booklet that includes: 5 MEAL/SNACK IDEAS that are totally Kiddo Friendly…. As well as a guide on what to look for in topical skin products! All the good stuff for maximizing skin health!
To Register for this FREE webinar, click the HERE